Sunday, December 8, 2013

TKAM response journal chapters 20 and 21

#6-

A quote that I agree with is when Dolphus Raymond tells Scout and Dill that he lies about who he really is to the public of Maycomb and he says, "It helps folks if they can latch onto a reason... Secretly, Miss Finch, I'm not much of a drinker, but you see they could not understand that I live like I do because that's the way I want to live" (Lee 200). I agree with this quote because it is so true that when people cannot understand why a person does something that they do, they need a reason to justify it. Instead of trying to empathize with Mr. Raymond, the people of Maycomb judge him and make rumors about him to help themselves to understand why he prefers to spend his time with black people instead of white people. I agree with Dolphus Raymond's decision to pretend to be a drunk and I think that it is extremely humble of him to pretend to be such a troubled person just to help the people of Maycomb "understand" why he does what he does.

Another quote that I agree with is when Atticus gives his closing argument to the jury and he says that, "...the evil assumption- that all Negroes lie, that all Negroes are basically immoral beings, that all Negro men are not to be trusted around our women, an assumption one associates with minds of their caliber" (Lee 204). I agree with the author when she writes this because I also believe that people who are uneducated like the Ewell's are ignorant about the world and other people. This makes them extremely vulnerable to prejudice and racism because they do not have enough knowledge to have empathy for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment