Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Boo's Journal Part 2

Well, I've had a crazy night! I went outside! I can't believe I had the courage to go out there by that big oak tree and save Scout and Jem's lives. I am so happy that those two children are okay. It was so kind of Mr. Heck Tate and Atticus to agree that Bob Ewell slipped on his knife, instead of saying who really killed him. I suppose that Heck, Atticus, and Scout all know that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. What I mean by this is that someone finally understands that it was never my intention to hurt or scare anyone, and it hurt me so much to hear all of the mean, untrue rumors that the people of Maycomb have made up about me over the years. It makes me feel better to know that at least those three people know how to empathize with others instead of making judgements about another person without fully understanding what they go through every day. It is people like Atticus who bring justice to our society by empathizing with others and seeing us all as equals, instead of thinking like the people of Maycomb who look down upon those who do not meet the standards of their society. Atticus is teaching his children right, and I appreciate him so much for agreeing to lye about the Bob Ewell in order to express his belief that there is no use in causing harm to a person who has never hurt anyone else- me. I can see that his ideas and beliefs have rubbed off in his kind, empathetic children and I know that they will forever carry on his effort to establish justice and equality among the people of Maycomb. I respect the Finch family for showing me that someone understands what I am going through, and I am especially grateful for Atticus for never making any judgements or assumptions about me before actually seeing me. I trust that there will always be a few people like the Finch family, who stand up for empathy and justice through a society of prejudice and injustice.

No comments:

Post a Comment