Sunday, November 24, 2013

TKAM response journal chapters 9 and 10

#10-

A quote that I found particularly moving was when Scout is listening to Atticus' conversation with Jack and he says, "Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand..." (Lee 88). This quote tells a lot about the kind of person Atticus is because he is saying that he does not understand why people are so prejudice towards others. He is saying that it is pointless for people to make such a big deal of any situation with a black person in it because he sees everyone as equal human beings. Unlike others, Atticus uses empathy instead of being prejudice, and I can apply this to my own life by putting myself in other people's shoes instead of judging them and pointing out their differences. This was yet another quote from Atticus that proves that in the end, we are all equal human beings.

Another quote that was moving to me was when Miss Maudie is talking to Jem and Scout about their father's shooting skills and she says, "If your father's anything, he's civilized in his heart... I think maybe he put his gun down when he realized that God had given him an unfair advantage over most living things... People in their right minds never take pride in their talents" (Lee 98). This quote made me stop and think because it says a lot about the world and how people think. Miss Maudie is saying that Atticus has no intention of being superior in any way to any other living things on earth. She is also saying that people who have real talents do not have any desire to share them with other people. I can see this in my own life because I know people that have unique talents, but do not share them with others because they do not feel the need to be better than others, just like Atticus.

No comments:

Post a Comment