Wednesday, November 20, 2013

TKAM response journal chapters 7 and 8

#5-

I am having trouble understanding how Scout did not notice Boo Radley putting the blanket over her shoulders when she was standing next to Jem and watching the fire at Miss Maudie's house. I think it is unusual that Jem did not tell her what was happening when  Boo Radley was behind her. Also, when Jem tells Atticus and Scout that the blanket came from Boo Radley he says, "Just think, Scout... if you'd just turned around you 'da seen him" (Lee 72). I don't understand why Jem did not say anything to Scout about the blanket before Atticus brought it up with her, and as I was reading this part of the chapter I could not tell whether or not Atticus and Jem were joking with Scout or if they were serious.

Also, I am wondering how Miss Maudie is so optimistic about her house burning down. When  Scout and Jem talk to her about it the next day she says, " 'Don't you worry about me, Jean Louise Finch. There are ways of doing things you don't know about. Why, I'll build me a little house and take me a couple of roomers and- gracious, I'll have the finest yard in Alabama" (Lee 73). It surprised me that Miss Maudie was not very upset about her house burning down just a few hours before she talked to Scout and Jem. I don't think that I would be as optimistic as her, and while I am confused at her behavior, I understand the way I reacted to her because I cannot relate to what she is going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment